Ted Cruz: Gay marriage could put our 1st Amendment rights at risk

Ted-Cruz-closeup-630x526

Liberal heads begin to explode in 5..4…3…2…1

During an interview this past Friday with CBN’s David Brody, U.S. Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) stressed that gay marriage could put our 1st Amendment protections at risk.

“If you look at other nations that have gone down the road towards gay marriage, that’s the next step of where it gets enforced.

“It gets enforced against Christian pastors who decline to perform gay marriages, who speak out and preach biblical truths on marriage and that has been defined elsewhere as hate speech — as inconsistent with the enlightened view of government.

“I think there is no doubt that the advocates who are driving this effort in the United States want to see us end up in that same place,” Cruz said.

12 comments for “Ted Cruz: Gay marriage could put our 1st Amendment rights at risk

1. Anonymous
    July 23, 2013 at 5:12 pm

Cruz is right, that’s the way it works. Nowadays, if you have personal or religious objections to interracial marriage, you still can’t refuse to serve them. That is defined as “discrimination.” And that’s how it will happen with gay marriage.

2. Anonymous
    July 23, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Cruz is just letting us know where it can go. When the progressives state what they say they want, look out because it never ends there. The left always starts with a small bite of the pie… until it’s all gone. Just like the gay lobby only wanted tolerance and to be allowed to be who they are. Now it’s demanding complete approval or else. In their sick thinking marriage is outdated and disruptive to the “hope and change” agenda. Marriage by it’s definition is a covenant between man, woman, and God. This is a spiritual battle as well.

3. Anonymous
    July 23, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Senator Cruz is exactly right and not surprised that he stepped up to the plate to tell it like it is once again. If only we had hundreds more just like him. He can’t change anything but at least he is not afraid to speak out for and stand for his principles. Gay marriage is just another tool for the left and that is the bottom line and he is exactly right.

4. Anonymous
    July 23, 2013 at 5:09 pm

The more I read about the ‘Homosexual issue,’ the more I think that it is not about equal rights, but destroying freedom of speech.
    If homosexuals want equal rights why are they sticking with the term ‘marriage’? that is where the legal battle is taking place, over ‘what is marriage?’ ‘Should the govt. redefine marriage as something other than one man and one woman?’
    If you ask most any religious person ‘What is marriage?’ they will tell you ‘one man and one woman’ because that is their religious belief, as defined by their Deity. So when they hear the question of govt. redefining marriage they get upset because to them, the religious, marriage is a definition outside of govt. control.
    So why not drop the term marriage? That is where all of the friction is taking place. Get govt. out of the marriage business and let the religions define marriage however they will. Do away with marriage licenses, have govt. come up with something else that never uses the term marriage, and let govt. decide who it applies to.
    I am a religious person, I believe that there are many things that are wrong to do, a short list for you: Drinking alcohol, recreational drugs, lying, stealing, killing, fornication, adultery, masturbation, incest, using foul language, and yes… having sexual contact with the same sex. That is what I believe, that is what I believe God has commanded and NOTHING anyone says or does will make me change my views on those things.
    However, I asked myself ‘What legal reason is there to deny same sex couples the same legal status of heterosexual couples?’ I could not come up with an answer to that question.
    So I came up with this compromise, leave the definition of marriage alone, get govt. out of religious territory. This is an idea that I can support. Can you? I’d really like to hear from both sides on if you could support this idea, and if you can’t then please explain, I’d like to know why.

5. Anonymous
    July 23, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Ted Cruz and Rand Paul are the only 2 politicians that can save this country. in 2016
    What a perfect ticket: Cruz/Paul

6. Anonymous
    July 23, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Religion, like sexuality, should remain private. What you do in your churches and what I do in my bedroom are none of the other’s business. That said, once we’re both in the public sphere, mutual respect should carry the day. You respect my rights and I’ll respect your rights. Deal?

7. Anonymous
    July 23, 2013 at 5:07 pm

I can see where he’s coming from. If you disagree on anything with the left, you are an evil person and should not be allowed to say anything.

So in other words, agree with them or be ridiculed beyond belief and get called this, that, and the other thing when you aren’t anything they make you out to be.

8. Anonymous
    July 23, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Socially we’re already here. I’m a graduate student and whenever the topic of gay marriage comes up in class I just remain silent. To speak out against it, even to say you don’t agree with it, now implies you’re a bigot. You are for a free and just society if you don’t think its good and healthy. Rather than become the pariah of the class, its easier to just shake my head and keep it all to myself.

9. Anonymous
    July 23, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Senator Ted Cruz is emerging as a leader for Conservative rights. He is correct in warning of the impact of gay rights (and eventually more deviant relationships) on the First Amendment. Pastors have found themselves facing fines and jail for speaking out from a Biblical standpoint on marriage between a man and a woman in Canada. Let’s not be lulled into a false sense of unending liberty. The fact is we are facing the greatest attack on freedom since the signing of the Constitution.

10. Anonymous
    July 23, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Cruz is just trotting out an another lame argument against gay marriage since most Americans seem to have dismissed the “It’s against God” argument and the “it will lead to people marrying their dog and/or sister” argument. No clergyman in the U.S. has or ever will be prosecuted for not doing a gay marriage. Clergy don’t even legally have to marry straight people if they don’t want to. Many clergy won’t marry a couple if one of them is not of their faith (I had to do some stupid conversion so my wife and I could marry in her church). I’ve never heard of clergy getting in trouble for not marrying straight people of a different faith so I’m not worried about them getting in trouble for not marrying gays.

11. Anonymous
    July 23, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Unfortunately it isn’t really a far fetched idea. Just look at the bakery owners that were under fire for choosing not to bake a wedding cake for a same sex couple. They were demonize and called all sort of horrible names because it was against their beliefs and they didn’t want to have anything to do with the gay union. You know that there were other bakeries that would have gladly baked a cake for the couple, but instead of going elsewhere, it became a lawsuit! Same goes with pastors. There are pastors that are fine with same sex unions, but unfortunately I can see where the govt demands that any faith leader (except Muslims) must perform unions even against their own personal beliefs. My honest question is why in the world does the govt have any say over ANY couple getting married. The feds should NEVER have gotten involved with marriage PERIOD. Just saying…

12. Anonymous
    July 23, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I’m kind of disappointed with Cruz on this one. I typically agree with him, but I don’t see why someone would be forced to marry anyone. I have no issue with religious types sticking to their own beliefs. That’s fine, so long as same sex couples have another outlet for that marriage. I fully believe in the freedom of association, and that also means the freedom not to associate with whomever you chose. Just sad to see him play this silly fear card like that. Also, I always laugh when I hear or see biblical and truth used together like that.

Comments are closed.